This was one of the most successful themes we have done. It was so much fun! Each week’s Theme is based on one of the “Lost” parables in the Bible. Playing Hide and Seek is so fun and it ties in well with each week. If you are really ambitious, you could do this as a week long study (like a miniature 4-day Vacation Bible School).
Week 1 – Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl Matthew 13:44-46
- Do a treasure hunt. Watch the Treasure Hunt Blues Clues. Make a treasure chest craft. Make a craft or necklace with pretend pearls. Make a treasure map of your home and have an X marks the spot treasure for your children to find. (Don’t forget to hide a treasure there, though!)
Week 2 – Parable of the Lost Sheep Luke 15:1-7
- Play with stuffed sheep and lambs. Make a cotton ball sheep craft. Do a sheep stuffed animal hunt around your house. Learn about sheep online. Rent books about sheep and lambs from the library.
Week 3 – Parable of the Lost Coin Luke 15:8-10
- Do a coin hunt, but use only 1 coin to hunt so it’s more difficult. Play with pretend money. Count pennies together. Put coins in a piggy bank of sorts. Learn about different coins and amounts (pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters, dollars) Go to the Denver Mint.
Week 4 – Parable of Lost Son Luke 15:11-32
- Watch “The Wizard of Has” Veggie Tale. Play hide and seek. Hide a baby doll and find it somewhere in the house. Make a felt board or puppets and act out the story together.
Week 5 – I have HIDDEN YOUR WORD IN MY HEART Psalm 119:11
- Learn some Seeds Family Worship Scripture songs together. Play hide and seek. Hide a Bible and find it somewhere in the house. Practice some fun Scripture Memory games together to learn the verse of the week.
Be sure to talk about the fact that it’s God seeking us and how important we are to God. This month can be a really powerful one.